Thursday, November 15, 2012

Why Go To Church, Part 6



“I go to church because the Pastor says I should.” I really do not want to dignify such a statement with a response, but here goes. I did not know that you served the Pope. Ok, some of you may reply that you’re not Catholic; however, serving or following any person – even in the name of Christ – without Biblical basis is nowhere commanded in Scripture. Consider I Corinthians 1:9-15
1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
The Holy Spirit, speaking through Paul, allows for no other following than that of Christ. This exclusive followship didn’t even allow for Paul to be followed. Further, I Corinthians 11:1-3
11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
How would anyone know whether or not Paul was following Christ? It’s not because of his position (ie. Pastor, apostle, elder, missionary, etc…) What are the “followers” to do to ensure they are honoring God, and following Christ, instead of a person? Before I answer that question, notice a few other things from these three verses. Paul says to follow him “as he follows Christ.” Only follow that person when you’re certain he’s following Christ. Next, following God-given ordinances is noteworthy. Third, the head of man is Christ. There is no one else in between Christ and man. Though many non-Catholics assent that this is true, they’ve set up an “umbrella” to have Christ, the pastor, the assistant-pastor, youth-pastor, deacons then the man. In far too many “churches” this model is carried out, and a man will not make any Bible-based decision unless the pastor is consulted first. This is wicked, and condemned by Christ as Nicolaitanism in Revelation 2.
Again, for emphasis, there is no one between Christ and the man. Men, you are commanded to take care of and provide for your families (see I Timothy 5:8, don’t be worse than an infidel!!) You are ordained to make the decisions, so be a man, and do it. Now, this is not to say that you can’t receive advice. Solomon declared that in the multitude of counselors there is safety. But make certain that your counselors are Bible based, not just “good men.” Spend that extra talking time rather in prayer and Bible study. God will give wisdom to those who seek it, and He certainly gives that wisdom liberally (James 1:5).
If you find yourself doing anything because a man tells you to do so, especially if such command is not Biblically supportable, repent of this and follow Christ. But you need to know Christ first in order for this to work. If you find yourself still following that man, and feel trapped, then you are in a cult. A cult by definition is any following who gives obedience to one man without question. Far too many pastors demand absolute obedience. No New Testament character demanded such obedience other than Christ. Cults do come in many shapes and sizes. They are not just the Branch Dravidians at Waco, the Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, or Roman Catholics. There are no doubt Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, and Presbyterian cults. Leave any such cult.
Returning to the “how would anyone know whether or not Paul (or any person for that matter) was following Christ?” question. The Bible speaks much better than I, so I will step out of the way:
Acts 17:10-12
17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.(Emphasis added).
17:12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
II Timothy 2:14-19
2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that theystrive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (Emphasis added).
John 5:38-46
5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
5:41 I receive not honour from men.
5:42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
5:43 I am come in my Father’s name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
And countless others. These should suffice, if you still do not believe, then you’re really calloused to the Word of God, and must repent and trust Christ. No one should do anything apart from Christ’s commands or in opposition to those commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment